Skip to main content

Does Whatever a Spider Can ⛩ (Week 89)

What’s good!?
Hope everyone had a great week! The sun has been out, the weather has been great, and the bustling metropolis of Yamato has been bumping. We have been able to get out, get to work, and see some miracles.

First thing this week was Zone p-day last Monday. We got the whole zone to come up to Yamato and have a big water balloon festival right in the parking lot. We had everything from water balloon volleyball to water balloon ultimate frisbee to one big water gun throw down. Not gonna lie, it was all Elder Jaeckel’s idea and I was pretty skeptical about it to start with, but it ended up being a ton of fun. ごめん同僚🙏. 

Second major event was at our weekly park cleaning service this past Thursday. Elder Wood and I were on splits and got to have a good time playing in the dirt and harvesting tulips. After the cleaning, we decided to go explore the rest of the park and see if we couldn’t talk to a person or two. It was all fun and games until I ran into like three spider webs and immediately turned into a ninja, using my best evasive maneuvers to tear it all off. Didn't really feel anything so I didn’t think too much of it until after the fact when I realized I had been bit right above my right eye. It got pretty sore and way swollen so I looked pretty ridiculous for a little bit, but I’ve been taking meds and it’s getting a lot better. Still not back to 100 percent yet, but I can’t complain. And that’s the story of the time I got bit by a spider and was super disappointed when I didn’t even get any web-slinging powers.

Third thing this week was splits with the other Yamato Elders and the Kamakura Elders. We got to get out and talk to tons of people and have a good time. I was with Elder and Elder Palmer. They are both way hard workers and taught me a lot. One big thing I learned is the importance of following the spirit. During both splits, our plans had some unexpected changes due to various reasons, but as we followed the spirit and did our best to make the most of time, we were blessed to be guided to those who were prepared to meet us. Good experience.

And the final major event this week was our big Eikaiwa Festival in Fujisawa last Saturday. Every ward in the stake brought their students and members and we all came together to learn some English and have a good time. There were several different classes taught, but our district was put in charge of the “movies” class. We did a big game of movie jeopardy and ate way too much popcorn. Definitely the highlight of it all though was standing in front of the whole stake and singing the national anthem with the rest of the missionaries. When one comes to Japan, he gains a great love for Japan and an even greater love for America. 

And that was a summary of our week. Moral of the story is, I love Japan, I love America, but I don’t love spiders. The work of the Lord ain’t always easy, but it is the best work to be a part of that there ever was. I love you all and hope your weeks are peachy keen!

Elder Sadler

Pictures Below:
1-4. Zone P-day
5. The things you find at the dollar store
6. Spider park
7. Yamato Ward BBQ
8-9. Eikaiwa Festival
10. God Bless America










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Set Apart

On Saturday September 10th, 2016 Dylan was set apart as a full time missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints by our stake president, Peter M. Johnson.  There were a lot of family members there and it was an exciting and emotional day.  

Temple P-Day (Week 32)

Note from Barry (catching up for last week): Dylan had a temple P-day this week and said he didn't have time to write an email, but he did send a quick note to His mother and I to let us know that he is doing fine and that he received the vitamins and supplements that we sent to help boost his immune system.  We also received a quick note from a retired American doctor who lives in Japan and serves as a medical consultant for the missionaries.  He said that Elder Sadler saw a doctor on Friday who specializes in Bell's palsy and that everything is progressing as normal.  He is taking an antiviral and some vitamin B. Thank you for your continued prayers. Here is a picture that another missionary's mother posted on Facebook this week:

Sunshine, Palm trees, and Freedom🌞🌴 (Week 42)

Hey everyone! I have actually zero time to write this week because we are going to Costco and shopping on base today. Way excited! Yesterday, we had interviews with president Warnick so p-day got moved to Tuesday. We will still have another temple p-day in two weeks though so two Tuesday p-days this transfer. Fun fun. Anyway, don't have time to write much but we took lots of pictures this week so they can tell the story. I love you all!!!!!! Btw, Happy 4th of July. I'm so glad I get to serve on Yokosuka base this 4th of July with some of the people who work so hard and sacrifice so much for our country. We are beyond blessed to live in such a wonderful country with the various freedoms we enjoy. I would encourage everyone to give that some thought. Never take it for granted. Happy 'Murica Day!  Zone p-day last week (Soccer and Ultimate Frisbee)  Housing by the bay We climbed the highest mountain, to the highest house, to the highest chamber, and there was ...